Japan US Exchange Day 3

Tokyo to Omuta City
We left the hotel this morning at around 7:30AM bound for Omuta City in the Fukuoka Prefecture on the southern island of Japan. We will be in Omuta City and the surrounding area for the next several days visiting schools and world heritage sites. It is a little sad to leave Tokyo so soon because it is such an amazing and beautiful city that we haven’t begun to scratch the surface on. However, it is exciting to travel to Omuta City since it is a part of Japan that many visitors may not get to.

Our path from Tokyo to Saga.

(null)
Map showing Omuta City.

Omuta City
Omuta City has a population of about 120,000 people. This industrial area was once home to the Mitsui Miike Coal Mine. Mining in this area began in the Kyoho era in the early 1700’s. The mine was nationalised in 1872 and operated until its closure in 1997. The mine was a major factor in supplying the energy needed for the rapid growth of Japan in the 20th century. When the mine closed there were significant effects on the local economy. Having been here only one day so far it is easy to see many similarities between Omuta City and similar towns in the United States that have been hurt by large industries and corporations moving. Where I grew up in Kentucky there were several coal mines and I can remember the impact that the closure of our local coal mines had on the surrounding communities. It doesn’t just have to be coal mining, there are numerous examples of industries moving or shutting down that have decimated local areas. There is a reason we call it the “rust belt” in the United States.

The schools in Omuta City have embraced the idea of Education for Sustainable Development. The entire purpose of ESD is to not create a present world that endangers future generations. When an area is completely dependent for its prosperity on one industry – how are problems solved when that industry goes away? It appears that Omuta City is attempting to answer that question. All 34 of the schools in Omuta City are UNECSO schools (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). The board of education has embraced the idea of teaching students not to create a present that endangers the future. In Omuta City there are real life lessons to pull from to teach the students this important concept. I can’t wait to see how they are using education to combat the effects of departing industry.

IMG_9792 (1)
The Omuta Coal Industry Science Museum

Inside the museum there are several exhibits detailing the history of the Miike Coal Mine.

IMG_9790 (1)
Not to be bound by the past. Solar panel farms dot the landscape around Omuta City.

This evening the local board of education along with local educators and community members hosted a reception for us.

Here I am with Masanori Yasuda the superintendent of Omuta City schools.

Tomorrow will be another exciting day as we will be visiting world heritage sites around Omuta City and begin our one night homestay experience with a local educator/community member. Stay tuned.

Published inUncategorized

3 Comments

1. Beth Becker

So very cool. I’m really proud to have such an outstandingly invested educator & administrator for Kipling.

2. steph degodny

I too feel so proud to have such an invested educator leading our school. I’ve loved getting to follow you on this amazing trip!!

• Anthony McConnell Anthony McConnell

Thank you Steph. I am glad you are following the trip. It has been a blast.